The basic function of the Plug Grower is to participate in growing activities while working with the Growing Manager and staff and help with quality control for all merchandise received and to assure that the quality of work remains at a consistent superior level.
This position will:
- Manage the health of all plants.
- Determine nutrient and moisture requirements for each plant variety.
- Destroys undesirable growth and pests by using herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides by following the rules and regulations of Minnesota Department of Agriculture and Dan and Jerry’s Greenhouse.
- Maintains quality results by following and enforcing standards set by the Head Grower.
- Maintains assigned crops in a controlled environment set by the Head Grower.
- Enhances horticultural reputation by accepting ownership of assigned crops.
- Tracking all chemical sprays that are done to the crop.
- Managing lights and temperatures to maximize efficiency, while working with the Head Grower.
- Trials supervisor, take part and record data and be able to track the finished product while working with the Head Grower.
- To assist in the training of a person on growing of plugs on a day to day basis while working with the Head Grower.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete all areas outlined for this position in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to meet the minimum job requirements of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Education: High School diploma , GED or Vocational Graduate. Preferred: selected courses in horticultural.
- Preferred: two years working in growing greenhouse crops.
- Applicator’s license.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abiities:
Note: All items listed should be taken to read that the individual already has these skills, etc. or has the ability to rapidly acquire them.
- Must be able to lead a team for positive reinforcement through ongoing training to make watermen more productive.
- Must be able to work with other Supervisors in unison to meet schedules.
- Must be able to keep timely reports.
The physical demands of the position are listed in accordance with the requirements of the ADA as:
- Body Positions: Standing for long periods on concrete flooring.
- Body movements: Walking, turning head and torso, bending arms, wrists, fingers and the ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Body Senses: Must have full use of eyes, full power of speech, and speech recognition for crew communication purposes.
- Mathematics: Must be able to do basic mathematical calculations.
- Language: Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing well enough to prepare and read reports.
- Spatial: Must have basic ability to read gauges, thermometers and other greenhouse instruments.
Work will be done in the greenhouse, under temperature changes indoors and outdoors and exposures to chemicals that are generic to the industry.